As land in Western Australia becomes more sought after, the good old days of the quarter acre block are virtually gone. With the price for land in Perth sky rocketing, people who are looking to build are given more smaller lots and smaller home frontage designs – and this isn’t a bad thing. There are so many benefits of living in a cottage lot home (also referred to as ‘narrow lot home’) and we list them here.
A cottage home immediately conjures up visual thoughts of a small old-fashioned house that is modest, often with cosy dwellings and is typically found in a rural or semi-rural location. Perhaps you think of the American style cottage homes when the term comes to mind. However, there is such a thing as a contemporary modern cottage home, and they are developing fast in numbers in Western Australia. Architects and designers are taking advantage of smaller lots and turning them into what homeowners are looking for.
A cottage lot home falls somewhere between a full family home and an apartment, but without the big maintenance or strata apartment fees.
The Benefits of Living in a Cottage Lot Home:
- It’s easier to clean.
- You’re less likely to overshop for your smaller cottage home when space is a priority.
- You’ll be buying smaller versions of furniture which will cost less.
- It’s easier to focus on quality over quantity when everything is on display.
- Your heating, cooling and other bills will be lower.
- A single statement piece or splurge will make up your entire room.
- It’s harder to lose the remote.
- You’re more likely to purge clutter as you can’t hide it.
- You can afford to have nice things like candles, flowers and art.
- You’re friends won’t treat your home like a ‘party house’ meaning you’ll avoid big messes and drunken friends.
- You don’t have to lawnmow your small backyard (as it most likely hasn’t got much grass if any).
- You won’t have guests overstay their welcome.
- You spend less time in your home and more time doing extracurricular activities.
- You’ll be able to hear your family more and communicate better.
- If you want to renovate, you can – it won’t cost a fortune.
- You end up being more creative with DIY projects.
- It’s more ‘green’ friendly for the environment.
Take a look at some of the photographs below of cottage lot homes that have 10m frontage and see for yourself how stunning and spacious this homes still look.
Like the cottage lot home design? Find out what house and land packages are available right now.